Aylsham is an attractive market town, situated beside the upper reaches of the River Bure. Aylsham has an unspoilt market place surrounded by 18th century houses, reflecting the towns prosperity from the cloth trade during that period. The market square is now owned by The National Trust.
The market is still in operation and holds two weekly markets and two monthly Farmers Markets.
Humphrey Repton, the last great English landscape designer of the 18th Century, famous for his work at Blaise Castle and Woburn Abbey, is buried in Aylsham churchyard
The 14th century church of St. Michael dominates views of Aylsham and it is claimed it was funded by John O'Gaunt (pictured on the town sign).
Aylsham is the Northern terminus of the Bure Valley Railway that runs to Wroxham.
It has a number of quaint shops along Red Lion Street and in the market square. The town is home to the award-winning G F White butchers, where the railway sources Beef for it's Sunday Roast.
Other shops include the excellent Bon Bon traditional Sweetshop and Carousel Chocolate shop, both in Red Lion Street.
You won't go hungry In addition to the Whistlestop Café at the Railway, Aylsham has a host of independent tea-rooms and The Black Boys Pub in the Market Square which was frequented by Horatio Nelson and today serves a selection of Real Ales and good pub food.
Nearby Blickling Hall is a magnificent Jacobean house, garden and park, famed for its long gallery, fine tapestries, paintings and rare books.
The house was built on the site of an earlier house owned by the Boleyn family and it is highly likely that Anne Boleyn, 2nd wife of Henry VIII was born here around 1501. The current house was gifted to the National Trust in 1940 upon the death of Philip Kerr 11th Marquess of Lothian.
For the energetic the Hall is about a 45 minute to an hour's walk from Aylsham Station or 10 minutes by car!